While we are exploring Shanghai to find out the most delicious and safe gluten-free treats, please enjoy the wide variety of healthy, naturally gluten-free ingredients and foods:
- Grains such as rice, corn, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, quinoa…
- Nuts, almonds, legumes, seeds, coconut flakes
- Vegetables, berries, fruit
- Milk, dairy products (read the labels of yogurts and ice cream!)
- Tofu, soy-milk (if contains no malt!), tempeh
- Meat, poultry, fish, egg
- Oils, margarine, butter
- Coffee, tea (check, some may contain malt!), soft drinks, juices, hot chocolate
- Wine, ciders
- Honey, spices (check the spice mixes!)
- Pop corn, potato chips (however, check the ingredients!)
- Chocolate (if no wafer or biscuits!)
Note that only certified gluten-free-labeled cereal products are recommended in a gluten-free diet to avoid contamination. However, in China availability of these products is often very limited. Here are a few tips on how to reduce the risk of gluten contamination of gluten-free grains:
- Have as varied diet as possible; all the time alternate the grains and other foods you eat, change the brands from a variety of suppliers.
- Prefer packaged products, do not buy in bulk or self-service products.
- Always rinse rice, grains and legumes before use with plenty of filtered water.
Photo credit: Simo Turunen
Keen on getting in touch?
Contact us: contact @ gluten-freechina.com